The seasons are changing and it’s that time of year to keep your health top of mind as we enter cold and flu season. There are a few simple things you can do to protect yourself from getting sick this fall and winter.
1. No surprises here- wash your hands! This is probably the easiest and most important step in the fight against germs! It is amazing how many surfaces our hands come into contact with throughout the day, and how many times we touch our faces, mouths, and eyes. Getting in a good routine with hand washing is crucial.
2. Get plenty of sleep! Being well rested is an important (and pleasant) way to fight disease. Amazing things happen when we sleep. We heal and repair our bodies, our stress relief hormones get turned off and our feel good hormones get turned on, our circulation improves, our brains work out the problems from the day and process all of our input and we boost our immune system’s performance. All just by shutting those very tired eyes!
3. Exercise! As long as you are not over-doing it, exercise can help keep you healthy throughout the year. It is hard to maintain a routine during the holiday season, but this is the most important time to make exercise a priority. To keep you motivated, try taking a new class (i.e. yoga or boxing). Anything that increases your enjoyment and accountability for getting to the gym is a bonus.
4. Protect your gut! Did you know that approx. 70% of your immune system is in your gut? Did you also know that our modern diet and habits sabotage gut health? To keep those important stomach and colon bacteria happy, here are some things you can do:
5. Limit stress! I know this is easier said than done, but it is really quite important in fighting infection and disease. Slow down a little, get plenty of sleep, don’t sweat the small stuff, meditate and get a few good workouts in every week. I know it is hard to find time for yourself this time of year, but you’ll be surprised at how much more productive your time is when you are healthy and stress-free.
Those are Top 5 Ways to Stay Healthy this Season, but there is a still a chance you will catch something. If you do get sick, stay home. Stay in bed. Rest and recover and keep your germs away from your friends and family. When we go to work sick, we are less productive and we risk getting the whole office sick. Your emails will be waiting for you when you return- I promise!
If you would like to learn more from an Athletico physical therapist, schedule a free assessment. Free assessments are available both in-clinic and virtually through our telehealth platform.
The Athletico blog is an educational resource written by Athletico employees. Athletico bloggers are licensed professionals who abide by the code of ethics outlined by their respective professional associations. The content published in blog posts represents the opinion of the individual author based on their expertise and experience. The content provided in this blog is for informational purposes only, does not constitute medical advice and should not be relied on for making personal health decisions.
I tried out your tips and everything came up better than usual. I took up soothing massage therapy which helped me get over my holiday blues. I positively got to spend value time with my friends and family. Now I keep suggesting it to friends who are looking for a holiday trip. Thanks a lot for sharing!
@Alexandra- I am so happy to hear you are feeling well and you are loving your massage therapy! Thanks for reading.
/ An impressive share, I sipmly given this onto a colleague who was doing somewhat analysis on this. And he in fact bought me breakfast because I discovered it for him.. smile. So let me reword that: Thnx for the treat! However yeah Thnkx for spending the time to discuss this, I really feel strongly about it and love studying more on this topic. If potential, as you turn into experience, would you thoughts updating your weblog with extra details? It’s highly helpful for me. Big thumb up for this blog publish!