February is upon us! Can you believe it!? Let’s loosen up our calves during this lovely month! 🙂 The first week we will keep it sweet and easy with a Simple Calf Stretch. You will need a wall or space on the floor depending on which version you choose. There should not be any strains or complications with this stretch because it’s pretty gentle. It will stretch from the calf through the Achilles’ tendon, and down into the bottom of the foot. Let’s do it!
How to do the Simple Calf Stretch:
- The first version is done on the floor (left photo). If it’s difficult for you to get to the floor then skip this one and go straight to the standing version. Starting on all fours, with the knees under the hips and the wrists under the shoulders, straighten the right leg directly out behind you with the toes curled under and on the floor.
- The heel stays lifted.
- Straighten the leg and push through the heel, keeping the ball mound of the foot (the place just under the toes) on the floor. And that’s it!
Tip: keep the belly engaged and don’t lean back. Keep your stance stable for optional stretch.
- If you prefer to use the wall (right photo); find a clear wall space you can lean against. Place the right foot on the wall with the heel on the floor and the ball mound of the foot up the wall.
- The greater the angle, the greater the stretch.
- Also the more you lean into the wall with your body, the more stretch you will receive.
- Try to keep the body and spine straight as you lean into the wall. And that’s it! Sweet and simple:)
Stay here for 30 seconds or a few minutes, whatever you can tolerate. You can also do it a few times switching between the feet. Don’t forget to do both legs! Enjoy!