5 Types of Physical Therapy1 Comment
Physical therapists regularly work to help patients reduce pain and improve function. There are a variety of different treatment techniques that are used to accomplish these tasks. There are even several different settings in which physical therapists can be found. Athletico is an example of outpatient physical therapy, but physical therapists also work in inpatient, acute care, skilled nursing, and school-based settings. In this blog, we’ll look at the role of physical therapists in each setting.
- Outpatient physical therapy is what we provide right here at Athletico. Services that occur in one of our clinics or via a telehealth appointment work to address orthopedic injuries, headaches, women’s health, vertigo, and more. An Athletico clinician will perform a comprehensive evaluation and then cater a plan of care to meet your needs and help you achieve your goals.
- Inpatient physical therapy helps patients staying in an inpatient facility improve functional mobility and quality of life. Inpatient therapy occurs over an extended period and is usually accompanied by other medical care such as occupational therapy and speech therapy.
- Acute care physical therapy occurs within the hospital setting during an illness, after an injury, or after surgery. Physical therapists help patients with bed mobility, transfers, and functional mobility. Physical therapists in the hospital setting collaborate with other medical disciplines to help lay the groundwork for rehabilitation following discharge from the hospital.
- Skilled nursing physical therapy occurs within skilled nursing or assisted living facilities for older adults or individuals needing long-term care following inpatient rehabilitation. Physical therapists work to restore functional strength to complete daily tasks and return patients to their prior level of function.
- School-based physical therapy occurs within a school or school system and is designed to help students better access their curriculum. Physical therapists collaborate with other professionals, e.g., occupational therapists, to develop a comprehensive plan to optimize educational access for students.
Choose Physical Therapy
Physical therapy is one of the best healthcare choices you can make. It continues to be a safe, affordable, and effective way to manage pain while providing you with long-lasting health benefits.
Physical therapists are trained to treat a variety of conditions, including:
If you don’t see your condition on the list above, that doesn’t mean we don’t treat it! If you’re unsure if physical therapy is for you or have questions about getting started, schedule a Free Assessment with one of our experts today. Free Assessments are available in-clinic and virtually through our Telehealth platform.
The Athletico blog is an educational resource written by Athletico employees. Athletico bloggers are licensed professionals who abide by the code of ethics outlined by their respective professional associations. The content published in blog posts represents the opinion of the individual author based on their expertise and experience. The content provided in this blog is for informational purposes only, does not constitute medical advice and should not be relied on for making personal health decisions.