A concussion occurs when there is a direct or indirect force to the head that causes a change in mental status. During a concussion, the brain is demanding more energy than it is receiving. Therefore, it can lead to symptoms such as disorientation, confusion and memory loss. This may also cause slowness in thinking.
Athletico Physical Therapy’s Concussion Management Program benefits individuals who have had a concussion, or participate in an activity where there is potential for a concussion. Athletico provides concussion management, return to participation and neurological baseline testing (ImPact) training to athletic trainers and physical therapists.
Patient/Athlete May Experience:
Please note: symptoms may not surface until 48 to 72 hours after the injury.
Physician, Athletic Trainer, or Neurological Specialist may diagnose:
- Acute concussion
- Mild traumatic brain injury (MTBI)
- Post-concussion syndrome
Athletico Physical Therapy Options:
- Free Assessment
- Pre-Injury Baseline Testing
- Take the Athletico Concussion Quiz
- Vestibular Rehabilitation
- Headache Rehabilitation
- Concussion Return to Participation
- Concussion at home recovery tips
At Home Recovery Tips:
- Avoid loud noises (Music, TV, band practices or listening to a music device)
- Limit texting, reading, video games, typing, or internet use.
- Avoid any over-the-counter medications (Advil, Motrin, Ibuprofen, Aleve) that may mask symptoms, unless advised otherwise by a physician.
- If you’re a student: the school nurse, athletic director, administrator, and/or guidance counselor should be contacted to postpone any quizzes or exams that may be needed.
Concussion Resource Documents:
For more information take the Athletico Concussion Quiz or find a Head Injury and Concussion Management Clinician by clicking the button below.
Find a Head Injury/Vestibular Therapist Near You!