Athletico’s Men’s Health Program is dedicated to improving the pelvic health and quality of life for men of all ages.
Specialized Men’s Health Physical Therapist’s can evaluate your symptoms of Urinary Incontinence and help develop the best plan of care and overall treatment. To learn more, email firstname.lastname@example.org or take Athletico’s bladder quiz and meet with a Men’s Health Specialist.
Common Types Of Urinary Incontinence:
Stress Incontinence: Leakage of urine with increased force through the pelvic floor. Common occurrences are leaking with coughing, sneezing, laughing, jumping, running, exercising, standing after sitting and lifting items. There is often weakness of the pelvic floor muscles, core and hips which can contribute to this leaking.
Urge Incontinence: Increased urgency and frequency to go to the bathroom. Multiple trips to the bathroom, going to the bathroom “just in case” and going often even though not much urine may come out. Leaking may occur with increased urgency or on the way to the bathroom.
Mixed Incontinence: A combination of both stress incontinence and urge incontinence.
Physical Therapy Treatment For Urinary Incontinence Consists Of:
- Increasing strength, stability and endurance of the core, transverse abdominals, hips muscles and pelvic floor
- Increasing synergy and pattern of muscle firing between the pelvic floor and core
- Use of the biofeedback for pelvic floor training and re education
- Performing strengthening exercises in functional and dynamic positions
- Improving posture/positions
- Dietary modifications
- Bladder diary and log
- Exercise/walking/mobility program
- Functional activities
- Home exercise program and instruction